Previous Up Next
Today just wasn't my day. It actually started out good. I read an email about my apple pie page from CSM that gave me a good laugh...

thanks for the apple pie directions.
did you remember to remove the plastic from inside the pie crust before
riveting? ;-)

happy holidays

Things went downhill after that.

I started out by packaging up the trim servo to send it back to Ray Allen. When I got back I figured that I would just do some odds and ends for the next few days until the servo gets back. I started by countersinking the trim access cover so that the mounting screws would be flush. I set the micro-stop countersink to ensure that the holes are all correct. I must have set it incorrectly because the holes ended up being way too big. 

So I took another piece of .032 alclad and fabricated a new one. It actually took several hours to get it done, but it came out really well. I wanted to get all of the mounting holes drilled into it but since I sent back the servo, I couldn't drill the holes for the inboard bracket. Oh well, I felt better about the whole thing since the access plate turned out so well. So, emboldened by the experience, I decided to set forth and bend the ends of the trim tab. 
I can't believe that this didn't work. After reviewing a couple of other web sites, I got the idea that this was no big deal as long as you had it clamped securely as per the instructions. I fabricated the tapered blocks and clamped it securely. I started the bend with a small piece of wood and it appeared to be going very well. The instructions then say to finish the edge with a flush head on the rivet gun set to 20 psi. When I did that, the block that was clamped underneath the trim tab slipped out of place and this is the result. I will be ordering a new trim tab from Vans as soon as I can.

I then decided to quit while I was ahead.