Previous Up Next
All I had to do tonight was 
  1. Deburr all of the holes
  2. Dimple the skins and the understructure
  3. Smooth all of the edges

Seems simple enough, except that it took 5 hours!

The good news is that I have all of the structural parts ready for priming. Tomorrow I will try to do the metal-prep/alodine thing and get ready to apply the primer on Sunday. Irv said he was coming over Sunday and he's going to bring his spray gun. I need to get a chicken-wire table built and get some paint filters. 

It's a good thing I had help. This is Kathryn my main helpette deburring the holes in a spar before dimpling. She had the perfect "light touch" for this job. I guess a lot of people go overboard and remove so much when they are deburring that they end up enlarging the hole. 

She really liked dimpling with the squeezer. although she said it got heavy after a while. I told her that she needs to get big and strong like her dad. Nothing like a little self-promotion!


After she left. I put the squeezer in the vice. Not that I got tired of holding it or anything...


I had this dimpling thing down to a science after a while. First, deburr the front side of all of the holes.


Then into the squeezer for the dimple.


Then smooth out the backs on the scotchbright wheel.


If there are large burrs on the back, I removed them with this little bastard.


Clamping the spars to the edge of the table and using the hand drill made things go faster.


This dimpling stuff never ends.


After 3 hours, still spinning that deburring tool. My fingers are getting numb.


I took the advice of Jim Smith (www.whiskeybravo.com) and did as much dimpling with the squeezer as I could.


Then Tom and I did the rest with the C-Frame dimpler.